The Montana Coaches Association (MCA) is proud to provide a new nonprofit service designed to assist families in being properly educated about the athletic collegiate recruiting process. The Recruiting Education Foundation Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit venture, is now providing the MCA with recruiting webinars for high school student-athletes and their families in the state of Montana. The webinar is available at no cost. There is also a webinar available for coaches, AD’s, and counselors.
We hope you will pass this information along to your student athletes and their parents, and your fellow coaches and athletic directors, etc.
The May 2013 Newsletter, the final newsletter before the 2013-14 membership drive starts, can be downloaded/printed here: MCA Newsletter, May2013
A celebration of life will be held in honor Ralph Halverson on Friday, June 7, 2013, at 2pm. The location is GFHS Swarthout Fieldhouse.
5/21/2013. It is with heavy hearts that the family of Ralph Halverson announces that their father, Ralph Halverson, passed away peacefully in his home in Lakeside, CA on 5/20/13. Ralph was Executive Director of the Montana Coaches Association since 1981. Ralph was a coach, friend, mentor, and role model to many of his former athletes, fellow coaches, and many people who came to know him. Services in Great Falls, MT, are pending, but a Friday, June 7th date has been determined. The Great Falls Tribune online has Ralph’s obituary and an online condolence guest book.
Please see the attached document to read about the MCA winter sports Coach of the Year winners. Also included in the media release is information about MCA coaches who have been nominated for national awards. If you are a COY winner for a winter sport, please see the COY Ring web page for important information about ordering your ring. Congrats to the winners!
Two MCA members will be inducted into the NHSACA National Hall of Fame on 6/25/13 in Des Moines, IA.
- Del Fried, Malta High School, will receive the award posthumously. Del passed away in August of 2012. Del set a high standard for all coaches and served the Malta High School Athletic program as Girls Basketball coach for 20 years. Del was inducted into the MCA Hall of Fame in 1995, and in 1997 he was inducted into the Eastern Montana College Athletic Hall of Fame Distinction.
- Terry Thomas, Beaverhead County High School has 32 years of coaching experience (four years in Wolf Point and 27 years in Dillon). Terry also is a 3-time head coach for the well known Montana East-West Shrine Game (and 2-time assistant coach). Terry is the only coach in Montana history to coach the football and basketball teams to State Championships in the same year.
MCA members will be honored at the annual NHSACA meeting on 6/25/13 in Des Moines, IA.
- Pat Lynch of Manhattan will be honored as a finalist for NHSACA Athletic Director of the Year.
- Jack Johnson of CMR is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (football).
- Cary Veis of Custer County is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (girls’ basketball).
- Dan Hodge of Flathead is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (boys’ track & field).
- Jim Gregg of Cut Bank is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (tennis).
- Ed Kriskovich of Billings West is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (softball).
- Chris Inman of Havre is a finalist for NHSACA Coach of the Year (swimming).
- Chance Ferlicka of Helena Cappital is a finalist for NHSACA Assistant Coach of the Year (football).
- Gary Moen of Flathead is a finalist for NHSACA Assistant Coach of the Year (girls’ track & field).
Two new inductees to MCA Hall of Fame on 8/1/2013 at the MCA Clinic in Great Falls.
- Mary Murphy, Bozeman, coached cross country at Bozeman for 32 years, having teams place in the top 3 in the state in 23 years. Mary’s career includes 30 years as the Director of Bozeman Cross Country Meets and she is a 3-time winner of “Teach of the Year” awards.
- Jim Stanton, Billings Central, has a successful 25-year coaching career including football (including Billings Central, Huntley Project, Forsyth, and Baker). His experience includes coaching at the Montana East-West Shrine Game and the MonDak Game.
The Spring 2013 MCA Newsletter was recently mailed. Read the Spring ’13 Newsletter online. P.S. If you are on Facebook, so is the MCA… so don’t forget to “like” us.
Ralph Halverson, Executive Director of the MCA, received a lifetime achievement award for “Promoting America’s Youth” from the National Organization of Coaches Association Directors. Ralph accepted the award at the annual NOCAD meeting in Orlando, FL, on January 18, 2013.
The MCA has a new website!
Subscribe to this website (click “follow” on the right hand side of the page) to get emails whenever a new post is added. In the not-too-distant future, you’ll be able to read newsletters, catch up on upcoming and latest MCA clinic news and announcements, become a new member, and vote for Coach of the Year on this site.
Explore our site… and pass it on!